Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It was a short and stormy relationship.


I went out and bought the
BlackBerry Storm at Verizon a few weeks ago, the very day it came out.  I had been interested in an iPhone, but liked Verizon's phone service and had heard many bad things about ATT service, so no iPhone for me.  But the Storm looked like Verizon's answer to the iPhone and it is made by BlackBerry which I already know and love from my work phone.
But I didn't love it.  I couldn't type a quick email on it, I was so clumsy with the touch screen, it was very frustrating.  And there were other annoyances, for one big one, I couldn't get it to reconcile my personal email.  Was I on the internet or not?
And then I read David Pogue's scathing review  and felt somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one and also regretful about how quickly I had bought it.  But as Pogue pointed out, Verizon has a generous return policy.  So I tried for another week, and then gave up.  I returned my Storm to Verizon and they gave me all the money back, no questions asked.  
Big Sigh of Relief.  And I realized I'd missed my simple little LG Chocolate.  
But still, I do want a phone that can give me access to my email and to Google.  And it's nice to have a calendar in there too, and a camera.  So what do I want?
Well I think I want something that ATT has and Verizon does not.  And so I am almost ready to make the jump.  But which will it be?  
There's the iPhone of course, but now I am wondering if I am just not a touch screen kind of person.  And people keep telling me how lousy it is as a phone though they love everything else about it.
And then there's the new BlackBerry Bold.  I know how to work a BlackBerry and it's got a gorgeous screen.  And David Pogue likes it.
Any advice?

No comments: